Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Livescribe Sky Smartpen


Livescribe sells pens that record audio as you write notes, and syncs the two together so you can go back and tap on a note or drawing and hear what was being said at the moment you were writing. The company's newest pen is called the Sky. Unlike previous versions of the pen the Sky uploads your data via Wi-Fi rather than a USB connection. The data is currently uploaded into Evernotes. Each pen comes with 12 month subscription to Evenote Premium.


I was recently interviewed by a fellow postgrad. She asked did I mind if she recorded the interview as I was recording the interview on my iPhone I thought it was a reasonable request. The interesting twist was she used a Livescribe pen, A pen which not only records audio but records what is written at the same time. The pen uses a combination of an a built in infra red camera and special paper which is printed with an almost invisible dot matrix. I have to say I was impressed. I have spent hours transcribing recordings of both seminars and meetings.

Since this interview Livescribe have introduced a Wi-Fi enabled version of the Livescribe pen, the Sky Smartpen. Previously the data on the pen had to be uploaded via a USB connection. Now it is uploaded in real-time via Wi-Fi to your computer, laptop, tablet or smart-phone. Livescribe is now compatible with all platforms.



Follow this link for a general view of the evolution of Livescribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment